Thursday, January 16, 2014

Wednesday interview - Katerina Kopytina

Katerina Kopytina is a product, industrial and furniture designer from Moscow. She was kind to answer our questions and show some of her great work. Enjoy:
......................................................................................................................................................................


Have you always wanted to become a designer?
Yes, I always loved to make things, but being born in USSR I didn't know what design is. So when I grown up I was very surprised and excited looking at objects of Stark and Maurer. They were the first designers I remember. Now I changed my priorities but still keep warm memories about them.


Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
At the moment my favourite project is LightBean. Beside all the design aspects such as usability, sustainability, production process etc it's just very appealing. It's nice to have, to touch and to look at. 

What types of books are on your bedside table?
At the moment: James Burke 'Pinball effect', 'Endy Warhol Giant size' by Phaidon.

What is the best moment of the day?
20-minutes walk to the studio in Moscow downtown.

What would be your dream project?
I dream to redesign a city. I thought of it travelling in Russia's small cities. I can see how beautiful and happy they can be, but total disorder and apathy of government and people make it very sad. This project would be more about organisation and scenarios of activities which would force people to organise a local culture by local citizens. May sound weird from product designer but I think that the base of every successful project is a common sense. 

What type of music do you play while creating?
I think this playlist will clear this up:  http://radio.2dubs.com

How important is craftsmanship in your design process? 
While working on clients' projects I'm making simple paper models or 3d printing. There's no need to go too far with materials because you can't really imitate silicone or metal. Now I'm starting to work on simple natural materials such as wood, clay, ceramics. So I plan to dig into workshop and see what happens.


Who is your hero at the moment?
Steve Jobs, Wes Anderson and my grandfather, he is Great Chemist and Great Man.

Cat or dog?
Dog.

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
Finn from Adventure Time!

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
I would be a scientist. Probably in the field of astronomy, chemistry or microbiology. 
Where could we find you on friday night?
If there is a cool exhibition opening or gig on in the town - you can find me there!

What is the most inspiring pieces for you to design and why? 
I like simple stuff made of simple materials. But this simplicity should be comprehensive. La Fionda as an example. It is a wooden car with iroquois that shoots with rubbers. So it's cool as for kids as for adults. 


Favorite blogs/sites etc.?
Oculto, Dezeen, ThisIsPaper

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)
Work and life is the same process for me. Lets say working/not working is 70/30.
What brings you joy?
Adventures, trips, concerts, work, friends, yoga and many others.. )

For more work and info of Katerina, please visit her site or behance profile. We thank Katerina for time and wish her all the best in her future projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment