Thursday, January 9, 2014

Wednesday interview - Amy Harris

Amy Harris is an illustrator and set designer from London. She does beautiful work with paper, wood etc. and we are very pleased to have her as our guest on our blog. Take a look at her answers and her art work:





Have you always wanted to become an artist/designer?
Making scrapbooks, painting seashells and lots of drawing were a big part of my childhood. Enjoying being creative was something that never left me, but the idea of becoming an artist/designer was more subconscious until later on.

When I was at school, creative subjects were always important for me and it felt a natural progression to continue with that route. Once I decided to go onto an art foundation course, I knew I wanted to do something in the art and design industry, but I was never completely certain of what!  My understanding and experience of what it can mean to be an artist / designer is still evolving.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
That’s a hard one! Different projects are satisfying in different ways, so it’s difficult to pin down just one. Personal projects and the experiments that happen in the studio can be really satisfying because they help you to learn and develop by playing and making mistakes, but these aren’t always shared beyond that space.

In terms of commercial projects, The Times+ campaign was a great one to work on. It was a big learning curve for me at the time and gave me experience that helped me to push my work forward.

 
It was my first big advertising job, so felt really exciting. The final few days and installation were fast paced and full on, which was intense, but I learnt so much from it. It’s always a good feeling to work really hard on something and then see it come together, even if its not quite how you expected it too.

What types of books are on your bedside table?
A mix of novels, art & design books, Wallpaper* City Guides, a few old copies of Ladybird ‘How to Make’ books and a Lonely Planet Guide to Peru (I’m soon leaving on a 4 week trip around the country!)

What is the best moment of the day?
In the summer it’s late evening when the sun starts to go down. In the winter, it’s the morning time, in bed with a cup of tea and the radio on.

What would be your dream project?
Anything that involves an interesting concept and creative freedom.

Can you recommend some movie you've watched recently?
Wes Anderson’s ‘Moonrise Kingdom’

Who is your hero at the moment?
I don’t think I have a hero as such, but the late Alan Fletcher is a designer I’ve always looked up to. My friends, family and the people I share my studio with always inspire and motivate me, so I guess they fit the bill too!

Cat or dog?
Cat

How important is craftsmanship in your design process?
It often plays a part in the physical creation of my work, and helps me to bring my ideas to life in a tangible way, so it has an important place in my process.

I enjoy working with my hands and exploring materials and techniques, which in itself can inspire designing in new ways.

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
The Roadrunner

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
To run my own shop / gallery / workshop space could be fun, or a role within an arts or music charity. I’m interested in the impact the arts can have within the charity sector and it’s something I’d be keen to learn more about.

Where could we find you on Friday night?
Having dinner or drinks with friends, at a gig or having a lazy night in watching a movie.

Pepsi or Coke?
Coke

Favorite blogs/sites etc.?
Present & Correct, Wrap Magazine, Muse & Maker, Ideastap


How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)?
It really varies depending on how busy I am with freelance work. At times it’s super busy and work seems to dominate, and other times its much more balanced. Having a good work-life balance is really important to me, but it’s a varying thing!

What brings you joy? 
Family and friends, my surroundings, music, learning, creativity, new experiences, living in a diverse and engaging city and having moments away from that to reflect and explore new places.


Thank you very much Amy :) Hope you've enjoyed the interview and for more info and work  from Amy, please visit her web site

No comments:

Post a Comment