Saturday, April 5, 2014

Interview - Sretan Bor

Mario Kolaric aka Sretan bor is an excellent young artist, muralist, illustrator. He was kind enough to answer a few questions for us. Take a look:

........................................................................................................................................................................

Have you always wanted to become a artist/designer?
When I was in 7th grade my mother asked me what do I want to become in life. I didn’t want to be anything since nothing seemed interesting. Most of the kids around be wanted to be  economists and stuff like that. Then she asked me what do I like to do. And I said drawing.



Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
Murals. Last autumn I was part of the project called Recover the Streets. It was a collaboration between five street art festivals from Cologne, Besançon, Zaragoza, Toulouse and Zagreb. I was chosen to go to Besançon. It’s a beautiful town with a lot of old buildings and green parks. Beautiful windows. I did two walls there and one collaborative one. I met some really nice people and even got a new friend from Cologne. Our host Bien Urbain got us rooms in an old place that was build by Louis (some number) that ruled at that time in France, looks like something from Harry Potter. And in the end we got bikes to explore the city.

What types of books are on your bedside table?
J. Chevaller / A. Gheerbrant - Dictionary of Symbols is here for years now. And in past two years I started collecting all kinds of illustrated encyclopedia books.



What is the best moment of the day?
When day is turning into night. That one hour of pure magic. If I find myself in the woods with my dog at that time, or near river - priceless.

What would be your dream project?
To go to some warm place and paint some big ships for months with my future wife. And some land art projects, looking forward to that big time; getting up early, going to the woods and playing. Meanwhile, wouldn’t mind to do some covers for magazines, books and albums.

Can you recommend some movie you’ve watched recently?
Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995). Still funny after few years.



Who is your hero at the moment?
My (future) wife. Sometimes I’m really amazed how many energy and good will she has.

Cat or dog?
I had cats when I was growing up. No I have a dog and would love to get her a friend. 

What is the best part of your work?
When I meet someone that sees my work very similar to my vision. It’s a strange and beautiful experience.



There’s upcoming exhibition in Sopot, Belgrade can you tell us more about that?
I like to change my style often so from the end of 2013. I’m working on some new stuff. Now there’s about 25 new works in technique that I didn’t used so much till now - Watercolor, pencil, ink on paper. I’m glad how it’s developing in this past month or two and finally I can see this work side by side to my other work that I do under my real name (Mario Kolaric).

Is there any other media that you would like to try yourself in?
Installations and sculpture. I did some stuff in that kind of media but I have some more complex ideas that would love to see realised. Most of them are in the field of land art but some are for theatre too. I like this relationship between open and closed spaces.

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be?
Not sure. Probably some goofy one.


 
If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
Something with plants. Gardener, forest keeper or something like that. I believe it’s maybe the most useful job there is. Hope to get a piece of land in the future and make it grow grow grow.

Where could we find you on Friday night?
Depends. Home drawing or in some club in Belgrade. Don’t like clubs so much, especially when you can hear the same music everywhere. It would be nice to see something different like cabaret or just have a walk and talk evening with friends, just like in the high school times. But it’s not easy to find that kind of friends anymore.

Pepsi or Coke?
Water.



Favorite blogs/sites etc.?

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)?
I think it’s around 70/30 (work/life). Even when I travel I like to do something there, either a mural or some show, or something completely new.

What brings you joy?
To see people get along, smile, have fun. 

........................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you very much Mario! You can find more about Sretan Bor's art here

No comments:

Post a Comment