Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wednesday interview: Jorge Arbelo Cabrera

Today we present you Jorge Arbelo Cabrera, technical engineer in industrial design and post graduate in product conceptualization. He is mostly focused on industrial design, product design and furniture. Here is his answers for our blog, enjoy :)

Have you always wanted to become a designer?

Not always, when I was a child I wanted to be a forest ranger but since I remember, all my childhood I was always with a screwdriver, disarming all the stuffs of my house. I enjoyed a lot, the process of discovering the details of the objects like its engines, mechanisms, etc. But I started studying industrial design because it was the only engineering that didn't have chemistry. I'm lucky to work in my vocation by accident.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?

The most important project for me is the "tubh chair" because it was the begining of my new carrer as industrial designer. Currently I am focused on industrial design, furniture and product design, but I started as a graphic designer. The tubh chair gave me the confidence to development my skills as an industrial designer.

What types of books are on your bedside table?

I enjoy reading books that can teach me something new. Now I am reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart tolle and a "Arduino programming" book.

What is the best moment of the day?

All the moments are the best. 

What would be your dream project?

Work in a huge workshop with all the machines, tools and materials that I could imagine and just fly with my creativity, without the pressure of time and money.

What type of music do you play while creating?

When I'm brain-storming, doing a research or I´m thinking in general, I prefer work without music so I can concentrate beter, but when I´m working with tools or drawing I listen to Jazz, rock or electronic music.


How important is craftsmanship in your design process? 

For me is the most important. The part that I enjoy the most in my job is when I work with my hands. There is a great phrase from Metropolis that says "The mediator between head and hands must be the heart!" and not the machine. I want to come back to the artesian way because nowdays it looks like if you want to produce a product you have to make more than 200.000 pieces in china, I believe that this idea is in crisis and we are coming back to the origins with the phenomenon "maker" doing you your own objects fitted better to your needs, for example with the 3d printers. I love the concept technology artisan.

Who is your hero at the moment?

My Hero is my Grandfather, who taught me to love handcrafts.

Cat or dog?

I love the dogs, all my live I have been living with dogs, currently with Lope

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?

A survivor on a desert island, I think is a very poetic life, living easy in calm, fishing, building my stuffs with nature materials, sending messages in bottles and maybe some fights with unkonwn creatures.

Where could we find you on friday night?

Having dinner with friends or reading a book in my house. 

What is the most inspiring pieces of furniture for you to design and why? 

I don´t have one favourite piece of furniture, I like changes and I always do different things. I think that I can´t focus my inspiration in one piece, the inspiration has its own life and it's always changing. In my case the inspiration comes when I´m thinking of something new and different. Currently I´m studying arduino programing because I want to mix the electronic whith my ideas, I don´t know the solution but the way is very inspiring.

Favorite blogs/sites etc.?

Mocoloco, Designboom, The Creators project, Makezine...

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio?

33/77 I spend more time in my personal life because is the place where I recharge the bateries and learn how to work with creativity and love.

What brings you joy? 

:) the joy comes easy, sharing with friends, living with love and didn´t putting off.


Thank you Jorge for this lovely interview, we wish you all the best in future projects. For more info about Jorge's work, please visit his web

No comments:

Post a Comment