Monday, November 18, 2013

Interview: Ilse Weisfelt

Hello boys and girls, we are back! We took a looong break from posting here, and we are very sorry for that. But, we are back, refreshed and ready to work. We will try to post more and more interesting stuff about design, arts, illustrations, lifestyle etc.  and we hope you'll be by our side. Today, we present you a lovely illustrator Ilse Weisfelt. Hope you'll enjoy it :)

Have you always wanted to become a artist?
Almost, first I wanted to become a vetinarian, just like my grandfather. But soon after that, I discovered the names of illustrators in books. I was quite surprised that drawing childrens books was a real profession! So, I wanted to become an illustrator when I was like 10 years old.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
I’m not sure if I have an alltime favorite project. I really enjoyed making my own cookbook, with a friend (he wrote the recipes), as that was a personal project, and something we wanted to do for quite a while. That’s also a bit where my ‘career’ started, (it was an internship project), it developed my style a bit to what it is now. It was really cool to finally see my illustrations come to live in this small book! But I actually enjoy most of the projects, making clients are happy, and hearing that my parents and friends are proud of what I’m doing.



What types of books are on your bedside table?
I love to read, novels. Right now I’m reading Gerard Bakker. I also love Nicolo Amaniti, Tommy Wieringa or Hariko Murakami. Actually I read anything without images before I go to sleep. Imagebooks give me an inspiration- exitement, and will keep me up for a while.

What is the best moment of the day?
That depends on the day, and on what I’m doing.. but overall, I’m quite an early bird, or morning person, I love to take some time for breakfast and a cup of coffee, and the newspaper, making plans for the day!

What would be your dream project?
Hm... There are a lot of different things that I’d like to do in the future. Like transforming my ‘flat’ illustrations into stuffed toys for example, I used to sew and stich, but lately I dind’t find that much time to do that.
I’t also be great to design a whole restaurant or bar setting, from wall- illustrations, to menu cards to wine bottles.


What type of music do you play while creating?
That depends on my mood and the kind of work I do. To draw or sketch really focussed, I turn the music off, or listen to something more quiet. When I’m working things out in Photoshop, I listen to Studio Brussel, or my alltime
heroes The Rolling Stones ;) or any other rock ‘n roll, indie-stuff, like Arcade Fire or Balthazar.


What do you love the most in your work?
What I love most is that I can do what I love most, everyday! For the living! I really like making other people happy with my work. It’s quite a silly idea that they even buy my prints and put it in their houses! :)

Who is your hero at the moment?
I’m a huge fan of scrolling through Blexbolex’ books, I love the way he uses printingtechniques in his illustrations, on beautiful paper. The colors, the layers and blended colors. Saul Bass is one of my favos too.

Cat or dog?
Dog! But really closely followed by cat.

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
Haha, funny question! I asked several friends, and they all came up with someone else. Wicky the Viking was one of them, or Snoopy’s Woodstock More suggestions are welcome...



If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
If I really, really have to choose, I think I’d choose to work in a small press, I love to work with my hands, and I love to see the magical combination of ink and paper, turned into a beautifully printed book.
I would choose to do something with my hands, like baking, or signpainting, or sewing, or... But that’s all not very different from illustrating, I’m sorry!


Where could we find you on Friday night?
Around the dinnertable with friends, or on Friday-movies-night at the couch with my boyfriend, or in the bar... Every week’s different.

Pepsi or Coke?
Coke, but I’m more an applejuice fan!

Favorite blogs/sites etc.?

I don’t really have a favorite (design)blog or site.. mostly I scroll trough Behance, flickr or facebook..
I often visit
www.aandecokemetroland.blogspot.com that’s the blog of a friend of mine, he’s a great cook, with an ever greater twist of humour in his recipes!

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)
70/30 I guess? Illustration and my work is always on my mind.

What brings you joy?
A swim in the early morning, or a boat trip with my water friend Iris, dancing in my room with my boy, sun, snow, autumn and home-made applepie, screenprinting, France, camping, mum’s dog Nelson, cooking, beers with friends, etc.. 


For more info about Ilse, please visit her web site here

No comments:

Post a Comment