Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday interview: Miljana Nikolic

Have you always wanted to become an architect? 
I figured it out pretty early on in life, in the primary school I think, and stubbornly sticked to it ever since. It seemed like the only solution for a technical mind with a strong creative strive.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
The chair, it was the first one, and opened a new world for me, the world of design and objects. It gave me the pleasure of seeing my projects actually made (unlike those created during the architectural studies), but also made me think in terms of serial production and what it means to produce more than one piece of the same object.


What types of books are on your bedside table?
The choice is always very diverse, because I like to read couple of books at the same time, according to the mood. Current picks - "In praise of shadows" by Junichirō Tanizaki, "The sailor who betrayed the sea" by Yukio Mishima, "Modernism in Serbia" by Ljiljana Blagojević, "The Greek and Roman myths" by Philip Matyszak and "An apology for idlers" by Robert Louis Stevenson. 

What is the best moment of the day?
Morning, when there is a whole new day ahead and when I still feel optimistic that I would manage to do everything I planned for that day. 

Who is your hero at the moment?
Hard to chose only one… They don’t come from architecture/design world; somehow I always admire more the nice work of people coming from professions other than mine. Wes Anderson, great visuals and storytelling, Nigel Peake, architect among illustrators and Erlend Lou, my enduring literal fascination.





Cat or dog?
Easy choice - dog. Cats always give me a feeling that they don't really pay too much attention if you were around them or not. 

What would be your dream project?
Something that would require contemporary interpretation of traditional techniques and craftsmanship, with a use of new technologies. Learning about the processes behind the products is always very exciting, and implementing that knowledge in new products even more. So, a collection of carpets for Nani Marquina for example would be a nice challenge. :)





What type of music do you play while creating?
Not versed in defining genres, nor I strive to be, so I cannot really give a general answer. Lately, new Bonobo and James Blake albums have often been played. 

How important is craftsmanship in your design process? 
Over the time I came to understand its importance and to appreciate the skills and knowledge of good craftsmen. Getting a grasp of how things are being made saves a lot of time in the design process.





Where could we find you on Friday night?
I don't really have a Friday night routine, but most likely with friends in a bar or home watching movies.

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
Contemporary dancer  not that I believe I would be any good at, but it brings me a lot of joy watching it, and I admire the passion and energy of the dancers on the stage.



Pepsi or Coke?
Normally, I would say none, but since I recently participated in the project for Coca-Cola offices interior design, guess I would have to go with the Coke .

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
Someone good with swords, so maybe Touché Turtle. :)








What's your favorite sites/blogs?
The Creators Project is always an inspiration, and rrrrrrrroll gifs are quite charming.

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)?
At the moment, the two can’t really be separated, but I am working on it. So I would say 50/50.









What brings you joy?
Being surrounded by content and positive people with lots of energy and seeing results coming from hard work. But morning coffee is also always very joyful :)

Thank you Miljana, for the wonderful answers!
Here to see more of Miljana's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment