Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wednesday interview - Madalina Andronic



























Madalina Andronic is an illustrator from Bucharest, Romania. She got her MA degree at Camberwell College of Art, London. She does amazing things with her imagination and hands, inspired by fairy tales, Slavic folklore etc. Enjoy her lovely answers for Krishka:
.......................................................................................................................................................................

Have you always wanted to become a artist/designer?
I've been drawing for as long as I can remember, so I guess the art was a sure thing for me. But as a child, I would flirt with other artistic directions too, like dancing or singing or theatre, so there must have been times when "ballerina" or "pop singer" trumped "painter". However, with time, things cleared up and I decided to give my pencils and papers their rightful place in my heart. Rest assured, I was never a 'next big thing' for the science world :)


Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
Satisfaction comes with every successful project, but a very special one was the illustrated version of 'The Princess and the Goblin" commissioned by The Folio Society (UK). While I was in London doing my MA, I really wanted to work with this publisher and took part in all of their competitions and sent in dozens of portfolios. It didn't happen and I was crushed.
But a year went by and after coming back home, The Folio Society sent me an e-mail. Next day I had a book on my doorstep, ready to be illustrated. It was the best illustration-day ever.


What types of books are on your bedside table?
Fairytales, old myths and legends, Romanian literature with a magic touch.

What is the best moment of the day?
When I come home and curl up with my boyfriend and my cat, with something good to munch on, while exchanging little pleasantries and laughs - I've been slowing down a bit lately and I'm finding out the perks of having free, lazy hours, with absolutely nothing do. Or maybe with a lot to do, but refusing to do it as long as the cat purrs and the boyfriend makes awesome vegan pizzas. And they do that a lot.


What would be your dream project?
a) Decorating my home in the smallest detail, so that everything goes with everything and I get to actually put nails through my walls (which I cannot do at the moment, since landlords are usually so afraid of filler). 
and b) Opening a super hands-on school for art students who really want to know how things are done in the real world, bringing working professionals to be their mentors and show them how to get a good product out there.

Can you recommend some movie you've watched recently?
Oh boy, I'm so bad with movies! I'm more into tv series

Who is your hero at the moment?
I don't think I ever had a hero. Most of the time I see as heroes my fellow illustrators or designers working six ways from sunday in an office space, with awful bosses and difficult clients. And then I'm thankful for what I have. 

Cat or dog?
Cat

What is the best part of your work?
Being my own boss, working from my living room - most of the time in my Pj's. 

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
Betty Boop

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
I would be a cook, I guess. I really love food and making it pretty - like homemade, Nigella pretty.  Or...maybe, you know, a burlesque dancer? only so I can bathe with that cute olive sponge!
Where could we find you on friday night?
Usually, in my studio, i have the tendency to stay up late and work on new projects. But I might as well be watching a movie with my boyfriend or getting up to speed with our friends.

Pepsi or Coke?
Fresh orange juice.

Favorite blogs/sites etc.?
I have a lot of go-to artsy webpages and blogs, but most of the time I could spend hours on Pinterest discovering new talented artists and looking for inspiration for whatever my heart desires.  

 
How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)?
I think it's 70/30 in favor of working, but i'm trying to balance things whenever I can, after all I'm a freelancer and I have a flexible schedule.

What brings you joy?
Health and love and good feedback from people I love so much drawing for.


.......................................................................................................................................................................
Thank you Madalina for your time and great interview. For more info about Madalina's work please visit her site blog and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment