Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wednesday interview: Rubens Cantuni

Rubens Cantuni illustrator/designer from Italy. His work is influenced by many different things, like Japanese culture to pop art, street art. etc. He worked both with many independent and big multinational companies. Rubens was kind enough to answer a few questions for our blog. Here it is:





Have you always wanted to become a artist?
I don't think myself as an artist (and most people who do shouldn't as well). I can surely say I've always been interested in visual arts, in various forms,  I produce something visual, but this is not enough to call myself an artist.
Maybe I'm a guy whose creativity is a little bit above the average population's, that's it.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?

No one in particular, so far. Of course working for big and famous clients, like Nike or Foot Locker, is more exciting than working for unknown brands, but it's just a ego booster (and wallet as well).
 

What types of books are on your bedside table?
Currently an iPad, to be honest. I was a greedy reader, but lately I'mlazier, I confess. One of the latest novels I really enjoyed has been 1Q84, by Haruki Murakami, who's probably my favorite author (I was reading his work before he was mainstream, by the way). Generally I enjoy novels with some dose of mystery or with a crime/pulp flavor, another writer I love is Edward Bunker.

What is the best moment of the day?
Anytime I have no worries. And it's not so often

What would be your dream project?
A toy series for Kidrobot, short animation series for Nick or CN, game app for Rovio or similar, and many many more. But my life's dream is to travel around the world as much as possible, I'd quit tomorrow anything creative in order to do that.
 

What type of music do you play while creating?
Depends on my mood and on the project.
 

What do you love the most in your work?
That I can get paid to do something I was going to do anyway for myself. Note to clients: this doesn't mean I'm going to work for free :P
 

Who is your hero at the moment?
Miley Cyrus.
Ahah, I'm kidding. I don't have heroes, I have people I admire. In the art/illustration/creative world there are plenty of them. Rockin' Jellybean, Mike Giant, 123Klan, Jeremy Fish, Johnny Crap, Greg Simkins, Deseo, Audrey Kawasaki… Really too many to mention
 

Cat or dog?
I like animals, but not as a owner of them. Too much responsibility and work. If I really have to choose I think I'm more a dog personality

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
Charlie Brown for my total lack of self-confidence and abundance of self-irony.

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
Carpenter. I like wood, I like the tools you use on wood, the smell when you work it and you can build cool things. Tattoo artist, I love tattoos, I have several on me, also one I did myself (a slice of pizza), it's a great responsibility but also great satisfaction.Travel guide author.

Where could we find you on Friday night?
Most probably at home. After the university years, once you start to work, the idea of a cozy friday night of movie and home assume a totally different appeal. And once you're married too, it's definitely over.
 


Do you express your creativity on some other media? Like crafts, street art, toys....etc?
I made some vinyl toy customizations, both for myself or small exhibitions, but it's not something I do very often. As a job I'm also a digital art director, I like to invent mobile apps and stuff like that.

Favorite blogs/sites etc.?
I should say koikoikoi.com since I'm co-founder of it, but I admit I couldn't follow it as it deserves lately. I follow some tumblrs and image bookmarking sites, like ffffound. I love Behance (mine is behance.net/tokyocandies). But I have to say that most of my clicks on websites and blogs come from posts by people I follow on Facebook.

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)
Depends on the time, it may vary a lot.

What brings you joy?
My wife, traveling, people appreciating what I do.



Rubens, thank you very much for your time. We wish you all the best with your future project. Hope you guys enjoyed it and for more info about Rubens and his work, please visit his site  http://tokyocandies.com

No comments:

Post a Comment