Thursday, August 29, 2013

Angie Hoffmeister - Wednesday interview



Today we present you a lovely lady from Germany. Her name is Angie Hoffmeister and she is an illustrator, painter and comic book artist. Here are her answers:
...........................................................................................................................................................

Have you always wanted to become a artist?

This was not a decision I made, things just naturally went into that direction. I began to draw when I was 16 and over the following year I spent more and more time doing it, and so I went to an art school. There was no question about that.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?

I think the book I am working on will give me the most satisfaction once it’s done, but there are still a few months of work left, so we’ll see.

What types of books are on your bedside table?

Some Graphic Novels like ‘Portugal’ by Cyril Pedrosa, ‘Wildwood’ by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis and a John Irving novel.

What is the best moment of the day?

The ten minutes before falling asleep at night.

What would be your dream project?

I would love to make a full color book all alone, something between a comic and a novel, with no time pressure and all the freedom I want.

What type of music do you play while creating?

That depends. I like Korn just as much as Alt-J, Chamberlin, Damien Rice, the Foo Fighters or Nick Cave.

What do you love the most in your work?

The soft and quiet drive in the lines.

Who is your hero at the moment?

In literature it’s John Irving and in art it’s Sandra Vásquez de la Horra.

Cat or dog?

Cat

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)

Possibly Enid from the Ghostworld comic, but I’m not sure.

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
I would want to do something with the books. Maybe writing, maybe translating, something like that.
Where could we find you on Friday night?
At a friend’s house cooking or watching movies – or at home, working.

You also do comics and graphic novels, can you tell us a little more about that?

I've been working on a book for three years now, and it’s going to be finished next spring. It’s a 450 page Graphic Novel called ‘Nocturne’, written by Anne Opotowsky and illustrated by me. This book occupies me for most of the day, it’s something like my personal Mount Everest, but I’m glad that the finish line is in the sight. It’s tough work because you have to go back and forth all the time, do revisions and talk things over many times. I had to draw the first two chapters completely anew because my lines had gotten so much better over time. But it’s a beautiful project and I can’t wait to hold my first book in hands next year.

Favorite blogs/sites etc.?

Sobadsogood.com

How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)
80/20
What brings you joy? 

Looking at a piece I've just finished and that I’m satisfied with.








Thank you for you time and answers, we wish you success with your future projects. For more info and work from Angie, please visit her site here

No comments:

Post a Comment