Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday interview: Jennifer Davis




Today we present you an excellent artist Jennifer Davis. She was kind enough to answer a few questions for our blog:
Have you always wanted to become an artist? can you tell us about your first experience with art?
I took on mandatory art class in high school. I enjoyed it but I never dreamed art was something I could “do” and it didn't really spark any interest anyway. In college I took a drawing class to fill a creative credit requirement and feel deeply in love with art school. I changed my major to art and took every kind of art class offered- painting, ceramics, sculpture, photography, all sorts of print making, etc. I loved all of it. I found my calling over halfway through my six years at the University of Minnesota.
Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
My show at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts- a beautiful museum in Minneapolis- in 2010 was definitely a highlight. I am most excited about a couple of upcoming projects though- a show at the Devos Museum in Michigan in Sept and a solo show at Public Functionary in Minneapolis later this year.
What types of books are on your bedside table?
I am an insomniac and I read a lot during the middle of the night- mostly contemporary fiction. Just finished “The Round House” by Louise Erdrich, Now reading “The Burgess Boys” by Elizabeth Strout, next up, “The Dinner” by Herman Koch.
 What is the best moment of the day?
I am an “early bird” and love early mornings. I usually try to leave a painting well underway but unfinished on my desk at the end of each day so that I am excited to get back to work n the morning.
 Who is your illustration hero at the moment?
I am always swooning over the paintings of Jennifer Sanchez: http://jennifersanchez.info/2013-panelcanvas/ . I have a lot of “favorites”- it is hard to chose. I keep two running lists - http://pinterest.com/jennniferdavis/art/ and http://pinterest.com/jennniferdavis/fellow-minnesota-artists/
Cat or dog?
Cat. I love both but I am a definitely a crazy cat lady for life. This is my 18 year old cat, Nudge.

What would be your dream project?
I have recently received grant funding (from the McKnight Foundation/Metropolitan Regional Arts Council) for aproject that I dreamed up earlier this year. I am am taking a road trip to research the dozens of vintage carousels along the US East Coast and then I am going to make paintings about the animals.
 Where could we find you on Friday nights?
Last night (Friday) I was in my studio painting. Most Fridays I prefer to go out and see some art and/or go to a bar and drink beer with friends.





If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
I have a lot of day-dream jobs. My friends call me Detective Davis because I like to investigate. I also think it would be fun to be a Mail Carrier. (It probably isn’t fun but I love walking and I love the Post Office.) Something on film sets would be fun for me too…
Pepsi or Coke?
Beer. ;0)
What type of music do you play while creating?
I prefer Minnesota Public Radio or National Public Radio.
If you were a character from cartoons, which one would you be?
I am not a big cartoon person but how about this guy- “Toughy”: http://www.milkyelephant.com/karl/toughy/episode1/
Favorite blogs/sites etc.?
I have a lot of favorites but this one has recently sucked me in for extended viewing: http://www.nellarmadio.com/
How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)?
I do not have very good work/life balance. I work at home which means I never really “shut it off.” I think about “work” almost all the time. I think that is why I read during insomnia and watch a lot of films- to help shut off my brain. I’m pretty obsessive. Work=life for the most part…
What brings you joy?
Films (most horror, documentary and weird/arty stuff), cats, friends/family, art, painting, bike riding, spring/summer, travel, food/drinks, adventure, adrenaline…
Thank you very much Jennifer :) For more info, please visit Jennifer's blog and site

No comments:

Post a Comment