Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday interview: Owen Davey

Owen Davey is freelance illustrator from Brighton. He creates wonderful illustrations and here is what he said for our blog:
..........................................................................................................................................................

Have you always wanted to become an artist?
Yeah pretty much. I wanted to write and illustrate picture books when I grew up.
 
Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
Probably my upcoming book Laika. I love the medium of picture books because you get to explore the combination of text and image in such a unique way. Laika was especially fun to do because of the period and place too. I looked at a bunch of Soviet propaganda posters and old Russian matchbox labels & used them all as reference in the book, to give the story an extra edge of authenticity. I also spent hours and hours researching the real life story in as much detail as possible. I tried to fit in as many little details as I could. That's another thing I love about picture books. Because you work on it for so long, you have plenty of time to install side narratives, and inside jokes etc.Picture Books just feel like a complete package of a project.
 
What types of books are on your bedside table?
Right now, I have Phillip Pullman, Sebastian Faulks & a Nobrow book on my side table, and the whole collection of Harry Potter audiotapes read by Stephen Fry. 

What is the best moment of the day?
Depends on the day.

Who is your art/illustration  hero at the moment?
Charley Harper is always a top contender? I also discovered the work Stefan Kanchev the other day and that's definitely going to be some big inspiration for a while.

Cat or dog?
 Dog. I love the neediness and ridiculousness of them. Cat's can take or leave humans. They don't really give a shit sometimes. I prize consistency and loyalty. My girlfriend and I have been in a debate about which breed of dog we're going to get when we finally buy a house. I like them short and stubby, she likes them sleek and skinny - it's raised some heated debates

What would be your dream project?
Possibly a stamp project, with a retro feel. Or a beer label.

Where could we find you on Friday night?
 You'd have a fair chance of finding me in my car, driving somewhere else. In the past month I've been back and forth several times between Leicestershire and Brighton, and I've also been driving to Falmouth, Wales & Austria. I'm quite looking forward to a lazy Friday Night in, watching a film and playing some games.

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
Art Director? Does that count as far removed enough? Then I'd get to look at awesome illustrations all day.

Pepsi or Coke?
 Neither. I'd drink either of them if I had to, but I'm a Fentiman's Rose Lemonade kind of guy. Yeah, you heard me... Rose Lemonade. That's what real men drink! On a side note, I used to be allergic to Coke. I had a tiny sip once and threw up all over a teacher.

If you were a character from Star Wars, which one would you be?
Probably R2D2. He's short and nobody really understands what the hell he's talking about all the time
 
How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)?
Depends on how much work I have on. I've learnt to just knuckle down when I need to, and completely chill out when I get the chance. Probably averaging on 70/30 though

What brings you joy? 
Cooking. Baking. Forests. Films. Skiing. Illustration


Thank you very much for your a lovely interview. We wish you all the best and keep on with great work ;)
For more art from Owen please visit his page OWEN DAVEY

No comments:

Post a Comment